Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sleeping giant roars

It’s my turn (B’s) and I have had it!

I realize that if you are reading this blog then you likely are already part of the “choir”, so let me just use this forum as a warm-up exercise. That annoying dimwit group called “Our Family Up Your Ass” (or something like it) has successfully gathered enough signatures to get their adoption ban amendment on the ballot for the November election in Arkansas. This amendment says that if you are not glowingly straight with perfect teeth and part of a marriage legally recognized in all 50 states then you are not qualified to adopt children who are in desperate need of a loving home. Somehow their logic follows that if you happen to be “unmarried” and you will abstain from sexual relations, then they will approve of your adoption. Basically, Catholic priests qualify, which should scare the begeshies out of folks, but the moms living in the Big Green House and our network of loving parents do not. Hell, even my straight Mom who maintains a house full of foster kids would not be able to adopt any of her kids should she get a boyfriend.

This certainly is another attack on the gay and lesbian-headed families across the state. They have gone even further to pull the well-being of vulnerable children into their web of hate-filled bigotry acts. Absolutely sickening is what it is!

If “Family in the Ass” wants a fight, they got one from me. For every punch there is a counter punch, and I am gearing up for the counter punch. Not only should we oppose this amendment, but we should push for equitable rights for our families. Here is what I would like to see happen immediately:
1) I want Second Parent Adoptions in the state so that I can legally adopt Meric and Holcomb can legally adopt Breck without either of us giving up our rights as birth mothers.
2) I want “family status” through our work benefits, so that my family is just as protected and cherished as my co-workers’ families.
3) I want equitable civil rights and social recognition for anyone who decides to partner with someone they love.

Arkansas Family First (love how they stole the name from the conservatives) is spearheading some efforts to fight the adoption ban. I just signed up with them, so I am probably behind on some of the efforts already in place. Those who know more than me, please share your information. See you on battlefield…
-Bridget
(fade away to Melissa’s ‘Giant’ playing in the background….)

No comments: